Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Week 11 -- Developments and Changes

Week 11 marks another big step on the baby development, because it is the week that the baby switches from "embryo" to "fetus". I'm sure no one is as excited about that as I am. The baby should grow very quickly this week and will be approximately 2 inches long.

At week 11 there aren't a lot of developments, mostly because all of the major systems have already been developed, however, there are a few of them:
  • The eyelids have fused and will stay that way until week 24
  • The external genitals move outside of the body
  • The hair follicles of the skin are forming
  • Teeth are beginning to form.
I've been told that most women will actually gain weight (usually about 4-5 pounds) by this point in their pregnancy, however, I have actually lost about 5 pounds in the last month. Usually this only occurs in women with really bad morning sickness, but since I have had none, it is most likely because I'm watching my diet better, and having the baby suck all of the nutrients from me. So that's what's happening this week...not to mention that we're out of the "danger" zone for the baby, so I am MUCH less concerned about the day to day monitoring. Yay!

No comments: