Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Geeky 365 -- Day 112

Running errands with Orion is generally an entertaining adventure.  Tonight's adventure was supposed to be a quick trip into town to grab pull-ups for daycare.  2 hours later we finally made it home.  We went to our local big box store which is actually about 10 miles away.  I picked O up from school and he talked all the way to the store telling me about the goats and tractors he saw along the way.  Did I mention we live in the middle of nowhere?  Anyway, back to our tale.  We went in and found what we needed, which of course means tortilla chips and apple juice, and then made our way over the the fish tanks.  It's a required stop and how I manage to avoid buying toys every time we're in the store.  Just a mention of the fish tanks and Orion is off and going.  I honestly believe that he would watch them for hours if I let him.  There is almost always another little kid that ends up at the fish tanks while we're there and O jumps right in to talking to them, showing them the fish, and making conversations.  I love watching him.  My favorite comment during this interaction tonight was the following conversation:

A little girl about 6 comes over without any parents and is looking at the fish with us.  She tells me about a big fish she saw once and the giant cat fish her brother caught one time.  She's looking at one of the tanks and in the corner there is a pile of dead fish.  She's looking at them and looks at O and whispers to him "I think these fish are sleeping."   Orion looks at them for a minute, looks back at the girl, and says "No, they're not sleeping.  They didn't close their eyes."   The girl looks back at the fish and asks O "Well then what do you think they're doing?"   Orion looks up at me and in all seriousness says "mommy, these fish are broken."    I busted up laughing and told him that he was right.  It's little moments of creative, clear thought from his mind that can just put a smile on my face every time.



After I finally managed to drag Orion away from the fish tanks and got checked out of the store it was supper time, so we went to grab some quick food before driving back home.   While in the restaurant I took Orion potty and then made him wash his hands.  The restaurant only had the automatic hand driers and no paper towels, so O was very confused.  He stood underneath of one of them, hands up, trying to figure out what to do.  Not really thinking about it, I ran my hand over the sensor to start the drier for O and it was aimed perfectly....to blast him right in the face.  He backed up and was shocked and I stood in the bathroom laughing hysterically as he glared down the machine.  If looks could kill electronics that thing would be a goner.   I took him back out of the bathroom and found some napkins to dry his hands so we could finish eating and go home. 



The rest of the evening was pretty uneventful.  We watched the new Smurfs movie and drank some chocolate milk while curled up on the couch together.  It was the kind of night that I appreciate the most.  It wasn't terribly exciting, but I definitely remembered why I do what I do each day. 


No comments: