- White fatty material, called myelin, begins to enclose the nerve fibers of the spinal cord.
- Lanugo (a soft, fine hair) covers the baby's shoulders, back, and temples (so it looks more like a monkey).
- Your baby's lungs are beginning to "breathe" the amniotic fluid (although the placenta will still supply the necessary oxygen until he/she is born).
- The circulatory and urinary systems are working.
- The reflexes are quickly developing. These reflexes will allow the baby to swallow, suck, and blink.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Week 17--Changes and Developments
Sorry this is a day late this week. I stayed home from work yesterday and completely spaced it off. I know, I suck. Anyway, this week should be pretty mellow, even though I start classes again tomorrow, but not too much is happening with the baby either: