Saturday, April 29, 2017

V-Bac vs C-Section - Doctor Discussion

I mentioned in my last post  that I had a discussion with my doctor at our 29 week appointment about the potential of VBAC vs C-Section.  I chose my doctor specifically because she's someone who genuinely supports VBAC efforts, but I wanted her honest opinions on how things looked and was pleasantly surprised to get that.   We went through everything, and ultimately her answer was that statistically I only have about a 40% chance of success for a VBAC at this point.  There are a few things that work against me here:

  1. With Orion, I never progressed, so there is no guarantee that my pelvis (or the rest of my body) can manage childbirth naturally.  That doesn't mean that it can't but it's something that has to be taken into consideration. 
  2.  I am overweight (shocking, I know) which reduces the success rate of VBAC statistically. 
  3. My age.  While I'm not at an age yet that puts me at high risk, I am 32 years old, and the older you get the harder childbirth tends to be on your body. 
Again, none of these things necessarily mean that I COULDN'T deliver the baby naturally.  It just means that statistically I am more likely to run into issues.  All those things being said, if I chose to still try to do a VBAC my doctor would fully support my decision.  Ultimately, it is my decision which route I want to take, and I've made a decision.  

We are going to be scheduling a C-Section during my 39th week of pregnancy, unless I naturally go into labor before then.  Again, there are multiple things that come into play with that decision, and I don't feel like I have to justify my decision with anyone.  However, there are a few things to understand: 
  1. I will be having my tubes tied.  This process can be done as part of the C-Section, but would require another hospital visit and surgery at 6 weeks post-partum if I had a vaginal birth.  This would mean more time off work and 2 intense medical events in a very short period of time. 
  2. If I ended up using an epidural during vaginal birth, this would also mean the potential for 2 separate sets of anesthesia, which is not always my friend. 
  3. Again, I only have a 40% statistical chance of having the baby naturally. 
  4. Finally, I know that if I tried and failed I would feel MUCH worse about things than just choosing to go C-Section from the beginning.  This may not seem like it matters, but I remember with Orion feeling like a total failure and like I missed out on child birth, and I don't want to put myself through that again. 
If I go into labor naturally before 39 weeks, we will see what happens there, but for now this is the plan.  
Post a Comment