Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Week 33--Changes and Developments

Baby is definitely wiggling in there still, but there has definitely started to be more of the actually pushing out from him/her too. There is one spot above my belly button that apparently the baby doesn't feel is big enough, because there is pretty consistently a foot or something pushing directly against that spot. This week, baby should measure about 12 inches from crown to rump and weighs about 4.4 pounds. I also think that the baby has dropped already, getting ready for the final count down, because the movements and stuff all feel lower than they were before. I had one lady tell me that as big as I was, and where I was carrying, there is no way that I will make it another 6 weeks. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I hope to make it at least a few more weeks to be sure that the baby's lungs are fully developed and everything, but somehow I don't think that I am the one that gets to make that decision!! Baby developments this week:

  • Baby is practicing breathing by inhaling amniotic fluid to exercise his/her lungs.
  • Hair will be present now if it is going to be there at birth.

  • The baby has a normal waking and sleeping pattern.
  • While the baby is sleeping he/she may experience the rapid eye movement (REM) stage, which is the dreaming period of sleep.
  • Baby can listen, feel, and see.
  • The pupils of the eye can detect light and constrict and dilate.
  • Baby's lungs are ALMOST completely matured.
  • Fat will continue to be deposited on baby's body for protection and warmth.
  • Baby's skin color turns from red to pink.

So that's what is going on here this week. I hope to have a few more weeks of updates, especially so I can get everything ready for my leave at work! Have a great week.

No comments: