Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pregnancy Phenomenon #2: Baby Brain

Yesterday I discussed a phenomenon that happens to people around pregnant women, which I called "foot-in-mouth disease." Now, I don't want those people who are NOT pregnant to feel picked on, so today I'm going to share one that actually happens directly TO the pregnant woman in question....which in this case happens to be me. I call it BABY BRAIN (queue scary music). While I personally thought that this was just a myth when I first got pregnant, after several months of denial and hiding from the truth, I finally have to face the inevitable. My brain has literally turned into mush. At first it seemed like nothing too major, but it has gradually gotten worse and worse.

The first time I noticed my baby brain kicking in, I was sitting in my office at work and realized that I didn't know where my keys were. I began looking through the pockets of my coat and pants, searching all through the drawers and shelves, and was really starting to get nervous. About that time my boss walked in and asked me what I needed. I told her I had lost my keys, and she proceeded to pick them up off of my desk, right next to the keyboard I had been using to type all day, and handed them to me. I know she thought I had lost my mind. Unfortunately I didn't realize that would only be the beginning of the trouble. Since that time I have taken a wrong turn on my way to work after dropping Seth off (which I do 5 days a week) at least 3 times...lost my keys again....forgotten where I parked....started a sentence or a story, just to realize that I don't know where I was going, or even what I was talking about......put my shoes on the wrong feet....worn my clothing inside out....the list goes on and on. However, baby brain reached its peak with me this week. In one day I had several episodes of "baby brain" kicking in...with the final straw being me sitting in the bathtub, which I had already drained, and realizing that I still had BOTH shampoo and conditioner still in my hair. (Honestly, I would tell you about the other occurrences from that day.....but I can not remember. I had to go ask Seth about them.....yeah).

I have always been a list maker (in fact I have a list of the prego phenomenons I want to blog about sitting here at my desk)....but I have a feeling that for the next couple weeks (or less!!!) my life and my sanity may depend heavily on those lists to keep me in line. I only hope that no one comes across my list of how to take a shower....step by step.

No comments: