Friday, February 13, 2009

Pregnancy Phenomenon #1: Foot-in-Mouth disease

Being pregnant is one of the greatest things I have ever done in my life. It is something that should be cherished and enjoyed as much as possible, and pregnant women should be praised!! I've never felt more beautiful, or accomplished as I have during the last few months. However, during this same time period, I have found that there are a few very interesting phenomenons that occur during pregnancy that don't normally happen during any other times in our lives. Some of these things happen to the pregnant woman in question...but others happen to those people AROUND the pregnant woman. One such phenomenon is what I would like to call "foot-in-mouth disease." This is one of those that people interacting with a pregnant woman are bound to face, and few seem strong enough to beat it. I have several examples:

1. While carrying 2 drinks into a building (1 for me and 1 for my husband) a woman told me that I should be careful or I would put on too much weight. Would you ever question the weight of a non-prego out loud?? How about to their face???

2. Several times throughout the day I hear "Holy crap, you're big enough you look like you're going to pop" or "Damn that thing is still in there??" One person even went as far as saying "Are you sure there aren't 2 of them in there??" Nothing makes a pregnant woman feel more beautiful than being told how enormous she is by every single passer-by. Next time I may be tempted to explain to you how fat your butt looks in your current pants.....I actually weigh LESS now than I did 9 months ago, and I'm carrying another living being? Can you say that??

3. While discussing induction with random people at work, one woman told me "you need to have more sex." Now, I tried to be tactful as possible and told her that I think my sex life was probably ok considering that's how I got to this point in the first place. Instead of keeping quiet, she decided "Well then you must not be using the right position." I was flabbergasted. Never question someone else's preferred method of sexual interaction.....ever!

4. Standing in the living room next to my little sister, she exclaimed "Your boobs look ENORMOUS!" I laughed it off, but at the same time I was confused...they are the exact same size as they were before. Considering how big my belly has gotten, you would thing that they would look smaller. I guess that's not really an insult at all...but still not something you would generally say to a non-prego.

I'm really not sure what causes this phenomenon. I really question what it is that makes people feel so open and honest with pregnant woman. Is it our beautiful glow that brings all in and makes them want to express their every thought? Or do we simply remind them of dear ol' "mommy" and make them want to snuggle up and tell all of their secrets. Next time you see a pregnant woman in a store, and get the desire to make a comment on her body, clothing style, or anything else, ask yourself if you would make the same comment to the fat girl across the street.

No comments: