Sunday, June 11, 2017

Week 36

Welcome to week 36!  The countdown has started and we are officially less than 30 days from meeting this little person.  It seems impossible, but there we are!  So, what's happening in pregnancy world this week?

For baby

Baby is now 18 to 19 inches long and weighs about 6 pounds! Baby should be shedding most of the lanugo, which is the fuzzy hair that covers their body, as well as the vernix, which is the waxy stuff that protects the baby's skin in the womb.   The baby's skull bones are not completely fused together, and won't be until well after birth.  This is to make it possible to move through the birth canal without getting stuck.  Circulation and immune systems should be complete and working on their own to keep the baby safe from infections.  The digestive system is still working to get completed though, and won't be done until after birth because the baby will continue to rely on the umbilical cord for nutrition until birth.  Baby should also already be head down, and has been at all of our appointments so far.  Here's hoping it stays that way.  I go back to the Dr. on Friday, June 16th and will give you an update on how things look at that point.

For momma:

Physically, I feel ok.  My tailbone still hurts but in general I feel pretty good.  Baby is pushed up against all my organs, so there are definitely moments where I have to pee quickly, or where I'm just not hungry because my stomach already feels full, but in general none of those are major issues.  I still have heartburn semi-regularly, but it doesn't seem as bad as it has been in weeks past.  I'm also still dealing with some random swelling in my feet, most often on days where my entire work day is spent sitting in meetings.   When I do have time to walk around, I'm trying incredibly hard not to waddle!  

No comments: