Sunday, June 25, 2017

Week 38

Welcome to week 38! We are under 2 weeks officially until baby will make an appearance, one way or another.  This week, the countdown will fall into single digits, which seems insane and I have mixed feelings for sure. So, what's happening in pregnancy world this week?

For baby

Baby probably is about 19 1/2 inches long and weighs about 7 pounds.  Baby has an eye color by this point, but the eye color, as well as the hair color and texture will continue to change from now through the first year of life.   Baby continues to ingest the amniotic fluid, building up that first yucky poop. Surfactant also continues to be produced in the lungs, which is the stuff that causes the air sacs in the lungs to inflate once they start to breathe air for real.

For momma:

My hospital bags are officially packed, the car seats are in the car, and the swing has been brought upstairs into the living room to prep the dog for the invasion.  Physically, I am tired and definitely feeling like I have to pee more often.  My tailbone also hurts a lot, but I think it's because I did too much moving and lifting over the weekend more than anything.  Otherwise, I physically feel ok.  Emotionally, I'm a bit torn.  Part of me is 100% ready for me to get this baby out and into the world.  However, the other part of me is a bit weepy about the whole situation.  I know this is the last time I will be feeling a little human in my womb, and I'm not quite ready to give that up.  I'm ecstatic to see Orion as a big brother and I know he'll be amazing, but I also am not ready to have to share him with another family member yet.  I'm going to have to share my snuggles and love with another human, and I just am not quite ready for all of that business.  I know it will be fine once baby is actually here, but I definitely find myself wanting a little bit more time with Orion, while also being desperately ready for the baby to get here.  It's problematic, but really the only thing I can do about it is to just continue to live in the moment right now, and go with the flow as well as I can.  Either way, it will be over before I know it.


1 comment:

Christel said...

I totally get those feelings of not wanting things to change. I felt them too before having Ellie. However, not much beats the feeling when both of your babies are cuddled in your lap!
It's a big change, everybody will go through an adjustment period. But it will swell your heart to overflowing happiness when you see Orion interact with his new sibling. The first time my two laughed together, I couldn't help but smile and let a happy tear or two loose. There is so much good coming your way!